Tuesday, April 19, 2011

R & R and B & M

This is the beginning of my top 5 segments.  Sorry, David Letterman, I had to borrow your idea.

This is my little corner called Rant & Rave and Bitch and Moan.

It's not very often that I have to be blunt and speak my mind.  Sometimes it's necessary to get it all out and move on to bigger and better things.  Sometimes you need to hear feedback from others and hopefully some will side with you.  This is one of those times when I want to hear what others think about and if my gripe is legitimate.

1.  I hate long-tail ad copy.  Really, does it take a ream of paper to get your point across for your reader to sign up or to make a sale?  As I tell my wife, give me the cliff note's version.  Granted, this trend does seem to be going away.  It's not as bad now as it was 2 years ago, but it's still out there.

2. Who on God's green earth came up with the latest pop up version?  You know the one where it has click here to leave page or click cancel to stay on same page.  I don't have time for this crap.  Stop the Presses.  Well you stopped everything with your little pop up.  If I really wanted to see something then I would look.  Otherwise, you're just ticking me off in a very bad negative way.  I don't know who did it, but already I don't like this person.

3.  It's unnecessary to create splash pages that look like a graffiti wall.  Really?  Does the Internet have a Hood, too?  Must you try to cram every little thing onto every little blank spot on the page?  For example, ASN, and Donkey Emails.  My eyeballs get lost when I see these pages.  I prefer pages that use the K.I.S.S. rule.  If you want to do that on your website, fine, but not on splash pages.

4.  Ah yes, the latest craze.  Let's see how many different badges we can collect.  You know the site.  I shouldn't have to point this one out.  Badges are legitimate if you're in the military, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc.  Can you guess that I'm sick of seeing these badges?

5.  Must a site always have a hierarchy of upgrades?  If you don't want free members, which will probably be the majority, then why offer it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You make some great points. The exit scripts are the one that really get me. When I click off your page, and I get that pop-up, you can bet that I'll never come back to your page intentionally.

Sam Burgess said...

Hey Shane, great article with a real minor exception. Badges! Even the cops in Mabank wear badges, lol. No you can't collect them either but you can admire them, lol!
Sam

Gumby said...

I wasn't even thinking of the metal badges, Sam, but you're right. I was thinking more about the ones you iron or sew on your uniform.